Friday, October 2, 2009

The Joy Diet - Truth


This was a tough week! The menu called for continuing the practice of Nothing each day and afterward to answer some questions, trying to get past the nontruths we regularly tell ourselves. The questions are not that hard on the surface. But I had a great deal of difficulty answering them most days. I could answer "How am I feeling?" and "What hurts?" easily with regard to my physical being. I could answer to some extent emotionally. The questions that asked about the stories that I tell, whether they are true, whether they work for me, whether I could come up with another story that worked better, were hard. I don't always know these things. Given my mood on any given day I tell different stories. Some of these I've known for many years and tried to work through them - so I can offer various perspectives. I'm very good at role playing - I can put myself in my parents' positions, my daughter's, my husband's, my friends', my previous employers', the people who look at my art. I can make excuses for anybody, including myself. And I can be hard on everybody, especially myself.


I feel frustrated with this week. I don't feel like I did a good job. What did come out of it was a greater awareness to pay attention to what I'm feeling and to decide what the best story might be.


My vision card expresses my feeling about trying to get at the truth, slippery as it can often be.
If you want to see what this online book club is about and read how other people respond to the diet, you can find Jamie Ridler's blog here:http://tnc-thejoydiet.blogspot.com/
You're welcome to join us! It's never too late.


13 comments:

  1. Becky I am really impressed with your vision board...it speaks so well to how you felt about this chapter in the book.

    Thinking that you didn't do a good job with this exercise this week? I hope you will pat yourself on the back and say "it's okay". This was a really tough chapter because it forced us to look deeper than we like to. And your point that your mood on any given day is going to be different one to the next. So "how do you feel" may get a different response each time.

    The fact that you are asking the questions and know you have work to do to get the answers tells me that you did a very good job.

    Be patient, be gentle with yourself and let's see where this next week takes us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post very clearly portrays someone in the midst of honest and possibly heavy exploration... you are asking the questions, and exploring your resistance, and that is courageous and powerful. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we do all have many roles we play...check out my blog on this segment of the truth and you may see we all feel this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the way that you approached truth. You bring up a really important point about how role playing is essentially hiding the truth. I hadn't really thought of the link between role playing and truth. This week when I sit down with the truth, I am going to look at role playing too. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your week of truth. This week was hard for me but it is great to be amongst great supporters here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be too hard on yourself! I think you did a beautiful job...truth is certainly a lifelong process and the fact that you've taken the plunge is a brave thing! Can't wait to see you next week for desire...I hope its less heavy!! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see a hidden truth in your picture. It says: I'm doing it myself. I will fix a thing. Maybe not today, but I have all I need...
    I had a bad week too, maybe because fall is coming, there is so much rain now, storms and so on. But this is how it is. Take care!
    See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see the hammer and nails express allot. I had issues with this chapter too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is hard to do this every day, but we/you will suceed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me again, Becky, thank you so much for your nice comment and the expression "the pc police", that's just what it is! :)
    Read "Sweat your prayers" from Gabrielle Roth, you won't regret!
    I would love to have you to tea. maybe they should invent "beaming" soon! ;)
    Btw: Won't you fancy a Paper Swap?, please look here:
    http://wovenletters.blogspot.com/2009/10/paper-swap.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this week's chapter difficult as well. But as I read people's posts on it, I am starting to see how to use this truth practice. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm excited to see what else can happen as we continue the joy diet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a difficult chapter. Good for you for raising your awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Becky, I hope you'll get this! We are swaping partners, please send me an email! I'm looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete