Thursday, May 31, 2012

Baked Tofu for Summer Salads

We had a spate of HOT HUMID weather recently, the kind that zaps your energy and makes putting supper together a challenge.  Ice cream would be perfect - but that's not an option for us, so we often resort to salads this time of year.  I gather whatever veggies we have, and may add beans, hard boiled eggs, cold shrimp, leftover chicken, or cheeses.  But the other day I decided to make Helen's Baked Tofu from the Barrett Art Center cookbook, and to cut that up for the protein in our salad.  I marinated it early in the day, then baked it later, chilled and cut it up - and it was a hit!  I love this stuff and it's really quick and easy.  Here's the recipe:

1 # firm tofu
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 1/2Tbsp. olive oil
1Tbsp. tamari soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fresh herbs, or less dry ones - I used rosemary, Thai basil, and dill
pepper to taste

Slice tofu into 8 slices, place in shallow baking dish.  Mix marinade and pour over tofu.  Marinate for an hour, or longer.  Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

In the winter I like to make this and serve with rice for a hot meal. 

Happy summer cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment