Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Year of Drinking Green Smoothies

In response to an online challenge I began drinking green smoothies for breakfast a little over a year ago.  It was the perfect time of year to start, when your body craves good fresh fruits and vegetables. I experimented a lot with various combinations, including things from the yard - plantain, dandelion greens, violet leaves, raspberry  and grape leaves, and plenty of fresh mint.  As the season progressed I was able to use all kinds of greens from the CSA we belong to, no longer depending on the store for the kale and collards I especially like.  And I could get local fruits, except for the bananas that give the drink a nice consistency.
I worried about winter - I was afraid that drinking a cold beverage for breakfast might not appeal to me and I'd lose the habit.  But I found that I did still enjoy them.  And if I wanted to switch up on an especially cold morning, I would have eggs or oatmeal, and get right back to the smoothies the next day or so.
Today's beverage is made with kale, collards, plantain, mint, banana, apple, and pear.  Tomorrow it will be mango, banana, and pineapple, plus greens from the store and yard.  Much as I love spinach and lettuce for salads, I don't care for them in smoothies - they have such overpowering flavors, whereas the kale and collards just seem to blend right in.

No comments:

Post a Comment